RISE is an initiative of Innovista.
Our vision is to see inner city communities flourishing through the positive contribution of young people.
We aim to achieve this by offering area focused leadership development for young people through our RISE leadership and mentoring programmes.
We believe in teenagers. We are passionate about seeing young people from all walks of life leading flourishing communities and bringing hope to those around them.
We also recognise that for a lot of young people, believing that things can be different is hard. Circumstances are tough and sometimes dreams do not feel like they can become reality.
We want to help change that. We want to equip young people as leaders, support them and release them onto a path where together they show others that there can be a different way and that positive change is possible.
What we do
RISE Leadership Programme
RISE Leadership Programme is a 6 module leadership training programme for groups of 5-30 teens ages 14-18. The length of the programme varies from 7-12 weeks, depending on the time available to the group. It is the aim of RISE to equip teens to become sources of hope in their communities. Out of the RISE Leadership Programme we want to see teens have on-going positive involvement in their communities, have a hopeful outlook towards the future, and act out of the inherent value of every community member.
Through teaching on vision, strategy, and teamwork RISE Leadership Programme participants will be equipped to:
- Articulate a project to potential partners who can help it become a reality
- Know how to assess and meet a need in their community with the resources available to them
- Choose actions, words and body language which communicate what they mean
- Recognise individual differences with respect
From leading collections for the homeless and producing workshops on positive mental health to community fun days and clean ups, we have seen teenagers break the pattern that has been set before them and change people’s lives as a result.
“Our young people found RISE Leadership Programme to be inspiring, challenging and engaging. It equipped them to identify and tangibly meet some of the needs in our community.” Norman Thompson, Youth worker
“What’s the point of just cleaning up around us when it will be a mess again next week? We need to change people’s attitudes first. Then maybe they’ll respect what we’ve cleaned.” Connor, 14, RISE Leadership Programme Participant
RISE Mentoring Programme
Innovista Ireland defines mentoring as,
“An intentional and mutual learning relationship that exists to help the young person discover and journey toward their full potential and for them to set and reach goals in response to their current needs.”
We have developed a six week mentoring program based on the GROW mentoring model that will enable young people to set goals in relation to school and community engagement, which is the main focus of our mentoring program.
- School engagement: helping young people work towards being an active student within their school community and achieving their best in all aspects of school life
- Community engagement: working with young people to look beyond their school walls and discover the skills they have to offer to make a difference in their wider community through volunteering and community initiative projects.
Our work is focused on Dublin 1 and 8. We work primarily with Transition Year Students but also with a variety of youth groups and projects across the city.
Since our first programme in February 2013 we have worked in the following organisations and schools:
- James Street CBS Secondary School, Dublin 8
- St. Catherine’s Youth Group, Dublin 8
- Ozanam House Youth Project, Mountjoy Square
- St. Michael’s Youth Project, Inchicore
- Mercy Secondary School, Dublin 8
- Mount Carmel Secondary School, Dublin 1
- Ballymun Youth Project, Dublin 11
- Newpark Comprehensive School
- Kill O’ The Grange Youth Group, Deansgrange
To take part in RISE and add your name to this list, contact Ashleigh for more information.